Progressive dies are the innovation of the new age that has made the process of stamping parts much easier and time-efficient. This article will discuss the most optimal ways you can stamp parts with progressive dice.
Primarily, two criteria influence the decision to produce a part in stages – the manufacturing volume and the part’s complexity. These two criteria are crucial in the tooling’s design and fabrication. Besides, all elements that contribute to the part quality, tool maintenance, and tooling life must be addressed.
Tips to easily Stamp Parts with Progressive Dice
1. Analyze Stamping Parts
To qualify for stamping parts simply and cost-effectively, you must have good stamping technology. One can use the following methods to accomplish a stamping technology analysis.
- Look at the product diagram. Apart from the shape and size of stamping parts, it is crucial to understand product precision and surface roughness criteria.
- Determine whether the product’s structure and shape are acceptable for stamping.
- Determine whether the product’s standard selection and dimension labeling are reasonable and if its dimension, position, shape, and precision are appropriate for stamping.
- Are the blanking surface roughness criteria stringent?
- Is there enough demand for the product?
If the stamping technique of the product is not good, the designer should be consulted, and a design adjustment plan should be made. If the demand is insufficient, other processing methods should be considered.
2. Look for Stamping Technology Design and the Best Stamping Workstation
Here are some ways to assess the stamping technology design and find the best workstation.
- Determine the stamping process, such as blanking, bending, drawing, expanding, reaming, and so on, based on the shape and dimensions of the stamping parts.
- Determine the degree of distortion for each stamping forming method; if the degree of deformation exceeds the limitations, the process stamping times should be determined.
- Arrange necessary stamping process steps according to each stamping operation’s deformation and quality requirements. Because the deformation area of each stamping operation is weak, make sure the created part (including the punch holes or shape) cannot form in the next working steps. Bend out and then in for a multi-angle effect. Arrange for any auxiliary processes required, such as limiting, leveling, heat treatment, and other tasks.
- Confirm the reasonable process steps under the premise of product precision and following manufacturing needs, blank positioning, and discharging requirements.
- Create multiple technology schemes and pick the best based on quality, cost, productivity, die grinding and maintenance, die shot times, operation safety, etc.
- Confirm the stamping equipment in advance.
3. Design and Layout Blanks Part
For this, first, calculate the dimensions of the blanking components and draw the blanking according to the dimensions of the stamping parts. Then create a layout and compute material usage based on the blanking dimension. Finally, after designing and comparing numerous designs, choose the best.
4. Die Design Stamping
You should confirm each stamping process’ progressive dies structure and develop a mold diagram. After that, you should carry out a comprehensive structural design and draw the die working diagram according to the 1-2 mold methods given.
What is the design method for Stamping Part with Progressive Dies?
The design method for stamping parts can be done by following the below-provided steps.
- Determine the mold’s type: Simple, progressive die designs or composite dies are available.
- Design of stamping progressive die parts: compute the cutting edge dimensions and length of convex and concave dice, confirm the structure form of convex and concave dies, and the connection and fixing method.
- Confirm the placement and pitch, and then mold the components accordingly.
- Confirm the methods for pressing, unloading, lifting, and pushing materials, and then design the matching pressing plate, unloading plate, pushing components block, etc.
- Metal stamping progressive die designs include upper and lower die bases, guidance mode, and conventional die frames.
- Draw the mold working drawing according to scale based on the previous work. Begin by drawing a blank with a double dot. Then, connect the location and pitch components with connecting parts. Finally, place the pressing and unloading material pieces in an appropriate location. The steps above can get tweaked to fit the mold’s structure.
- Arrange necessary stamping process steps according to each stamping operation’s deformation and quality requirements. Because the deformation area of each stamping operation is weak, make sure the created part (including the punch holes or shape) cannot form in the next working steps. Bend out, then in for a multi-angle effect. Arrange for any auxiliary processes required, such as limiting, leveling, heat treatment, and other tasks.
- Confirm the center of die pressure and make sure the center and the die handle’s center line are in line. If they don’t, change the die result to reflect this.
- Choose the stamping equipment and confirm the punching pressure. Examine the stamping machine’s mold size and specifications (shut height, working table, die-to-handle mounting size, etc.)
The essential decisions become more critical as the design of the progressive die becomes more complex. In addition, the optimal alternative gets established with careful evaluation and compromises, resulting in a powerful and well-feeding die that is simple to manage. The die will print consistent, high-quality pieces, and the optimum decision should maximize the return on a company’s tooling investment.